Alcohol & Substance Abuse Treatment

OWI Information

If you've gotten an OWI in Iowa and are an Iowa resident then you will need to complete the following before your driver's license can be reinstated. Note that in some cases additional penalties/requirements may be imposed by the court system and/or by the Iowa Department of Transportation.

Complete a substance abuse evaluation and follow any treatment recommendations as stipulated by the evaluator.

Successfully complete a state approved drinking driver education program. There are a number of providers that have been approved to provide this program in the state of Iowa. Cost for the 12-hour class is $115. Additional fees may be incurred for the jail diversion program. Please note that attending a Victim Impact Panel does not satisfy the drinking driver education requirement.

General questions regarding the drinking driver program may be directed to 515-281-5251 or emailed to:  

Pay any civil penalties, reinstatement fees, and/or pass any examinations as required by the court system and the Iowa Department of Transportation. For further information regarding your driving record, contact the Iowa Department of Transportation at 515-244-8725.

OWI Education found at the Iowa Department of Education Website.

Find an Approved Iowa Provider: locate state approved alcohol education providers and licensed substance abuse treatment/evaluators in Iowa.

Visit the Iowa Department of Public Health Website if you need help fighting alcohol abuse, drug abuse, gambling addiction, or if you have suicidal thoughts.