Regular Business Hours:
Driver's License Issuance will be by appointment only until further notice due to Covid-19. Call (319) 334-7456 to schedule an appointment.
Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Please see disclosure below if you are waiting until the last hour to come into the Driver's License Station
Early Closure last working day of June and December
Computer Testing Hours:
Computer testing will be done by appointment only until further notice due to Covid-19. Call (319) 334-7456 to schedule an appointment.
Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Please see disclosure below if you are waiting until the last hour to come into the Driver's License Station
Drive Tests are offered by appointment only:
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
Call (319) 334-7456 to schedule drives which are usually booked out one to two weeks. Drives are not offered on a same day basis. If you are calling for your son or daughter we will need to know their name, driver's license number, and why they need to have a drive. Due to the Driver Protection Act (18US§2721), anyone 18 years and older seeking driver's license information or wishing to schedule an appointment will need to contact us themselves.
We encourage you to come into the office at your earliest convenience. It is busiest at the end of the day. Unfortunately different driver's license scenarios are more time consuming than others, and we do quit taking driver's license customers if we are backed up at the end of the day so that we can have customers that have been checked in issued to by 4:00 p.m.
Please review the frequently asked questions below for more information regarding permits and licenses.
License Fees - Operator's, Chauffeur's, CDL (Class A, B, or C), Motorcycle Endorsement
Instruction Permit: $6.00
Upgrade from Instruction Permit to Minor School License: $8.00
Upgrade from Minor School License to Intermediate License: $8.00
Upgrade Intermediate License to Operator's License at 17 years old: $10.00
Upgrade Intermediate License to Operators License at 18 years old: cost of renewal license $4/yr (8 year license is $32)
Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP): $12.00
Photo ID: $1.00 per year; 8 year is $8.00
CDL: $8.00 per year
Motorcycle Endorsement: adds $2.00 per year
How do I Get the Real ID or Obtain an Iowa Driver's License?
Follow the below guidelines if you have an out of state driver's license and are wishing to obtain an Iowa Driver's License or if you wish to obtain the Real ID (Gold Star) on your current Iowa Driver's License:
Step 1: Document of date of birth, identity, and lawful status or presence
- Certified Birth Certificate issued by a state of the United States. It must be a certified copy and have the stamp or raised seal of the issuing authority.
- Valid unexpired U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
If your current full legal name is different than the name listed on the identity document from step 1 you must bring documents that connect the name on the identity document you selected to your current full legal name.
- If your name has changed from your maiden to married name we will need to see a Certified Marriage Certificate that links your maiden name to the married name. We can only accept marriage certificates that are issued by the state office of vital statistics or equivalent agency in your state & must be a certified copy with a stamp or raised seal.
- If your name has changed due to a court order we will need one of the following that applies to the situation: court order under petition for name change, court order for name change in a divorce decree or decree of annulment, court order for name change in a decree of adoption.
Please bring one of the following documents:
- Social Security Card
- W-2 form
- Social Security Administration 1099 form
- Pay stub with your social security number on it
You will need to provide us with two documents that show your current name and residential address. You can choose two of the below listed documents:
- Iowa voter registration card
- Valid Iowa vehicle registration certificate
- Valid insurance card or certificate of coverage (auto, life, health, homeowner's or renter's)
- Utility Bill
- Mobile Telephone Bill
- Application for Homestead Tax Credit
- Pay Stub from employer
Step 5: Make sure you have your current Driver's License
You must surrender your out of state Driver's License when obtaining an Iowa Driver's License so bring it with you; If being issued an Iowa Real ID Driver's License, be sure to bring your current Iowa driver's license with you.
Driver's License Forms
How can I renew my Driver's License online?
Please visit the Iowa DOT Motor Vehicle Division Services Website to renew your Iowa Driver's License Online at https://mymvd.iowadot.gov/Account/Login.
To Renew your Iowa Driver's license Online you must:
- Be at least 18 years old, but younger than 70.
- Be an Iowa Resident, and a United States citizen (as shown by the Iowa DOT's existing records).
- Commercial Driver's licenses, minor's licenses, instruction permits, and work permits cannot be renewed online
Have a driver's license that expires within 180 days that has not been expired for more than one year and 60 days.
- Can only renew online every other issuance.
- Have no changes to your name, date of birth, sex, class type, endorsements or restrictions
- Not have restrictions E, G, J, T, Q, R listed on the back of your current license
- Not be required to submit a medical or vision report at the time of renewal
- Have no pending requests for re-examination
- Not have a current license marked "Valid Without Photo"
What do I need to Bring to renew my CDL?
- Bring your current CDL license
- Bring your Proof of Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency:
* A Certified Copy of your Birth Certificate that is filed with the State of
Vital Statistics Agency or individuals state of birth, Puerto Rico, the Virgin
Islands, Guam, American Samoa or the Common Wealth of the Northern
* A Valid, un-expired U.S. Passport
* A Certificate of Naturalization issued by the U.S. Department of
Homeland Security (DHS)
* A Certificate of Citizenship issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland
* Proof of Lawful Permanent Residency by showing your Valid, un-expired
Permanent Resident Card, issued by USCIS or INS
Proof of Citizenship or Lawful Presence to Renew Your CDL can be found at:
If you are just updating your address, changing how you certify, or obtaining a duplicate CDL, you will not need to provide the above information.
The above requirements became effective July 8th, 2015 due to §383.71(a)(2)(v).
More information about CDL's can be found at the Iowa Department of Transportation website at : https://iowadot.gov/mvd/cdl/Commercial-drivers-licenses
Helpful CDL and trucking information can be found at the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/
If you carry a Medical Card and are going for an exam be sure that you are using the most current form (MCSA-5876). The form has been updated and is available at: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/regulations/medical/63066/medicalexaminerscertificatemcsa587611302021.pdf
Once you've gotten your new medical card you need to bring that card into our office and we can put that on file for you. Although driver's license is only open until 4PM, we can put medical cards on file until 4:30- as long as your CDL doesn't also need renewed. If, your CDL needs renewed please come in prior to 4PM.
What is needed to obtain an Instruction Permit?
Young adult must be at least 14 years of age to take the instruction permit test.
Items needed to test for the instruction permit for anyone under the age of 18 at the Buchanan County Driver's License Station:
1. Certified Birth Certificate/ with a stamp or raised seal
2. Social Security Card
Please note that a parent need not be present in order for a youth to take the instruction permit test. The test will stay on file. A youth must have a parent/legal guardian present to be issued the instruction permit or have a parental consent form completed.
Anyone over the age of 18 will need to also bring two pieces of mail showing they receive mail at their current residency. It must show the physical address and not just the PO Box.
Where can I find a study guide for the instruction permit/operator's license?
We have the Iowa Driver's Manual in our office and available online at
There is a practice test available at
What are the testing hours for taking the operator's test?
The Buchanan County Driver's License Station is located in the Buchanan County Treasurer's office within the Buchanan County Courthouse on the first floor.
The Buchanan County Driver's License Station is generally opened for testing Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM.
First Time Driver's License: How do I obtain an Iowa's Driver's License if I am over the age of 18?
- If you have not been issued an Iowa Photo ID you will need to bring your social security card, certified birth certificate, and two pieces of mail that show your physical Iowa address.
- You will be required to complete a drive skills test unless you provide us with sufficient documentation from a driver's education course.
Viewing the Iowa Driver's License and ID card checklist brochure may be useful to you.
How do I schedule a Drive Skills Test?
Contact Mellisa at 319.334.7456.
Appointments are available Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays.
After you have scheduled a drive skills test, on the day of your appointment arrive 15 minutes early. Park on the South side of the parking lot as you enter the parking lot from the Sheriff's Entrance. This will set you up to start your drive with ease. When you come into our office be sure to bring the following into the office with you:
1) current insurance card
2) current vehicle registration
Be sure that everything properly works on the vehicle that you are using, as it will be inspected prior to the drive.
Drive Skills Test: Are passengers allowed on a drive skills test?
No passengers are allowed to ride with you as a passenger while taking a drive skills test. Pets and animals are also not allowed during the drive skills test.
CDL and Hazardous Material Endorsements
Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM.
Many of the tests are time consuming. I would like to encourage you to come into the office at your earliest convenience because it is busiest at the end of the day and you may not have time to test.
Hazardous Material Endorsement Information:
You will be required to provide either a certified birth certificate or valid U.S. Passport when adding the hazardous materials endorsement to your driver's license. However, you do not need your certified birth certificate or valid U.S. Passport to take the test.
CDL Testing Information:
- If you are required to carry SR-22 you must provide us with an AAMVA form showing proof of SR-22 on both owned and non-owned vehicles prior to taking any CDL written tests
- We can add the CDL endorsement to your Iowa Driver's License if you've passed the CDL written test and completed a CDL skills drive test at another location
- Cedar Rapids 319.377.6461
- Decorah 563.382.3753
- Dubuque 563.583.9844
- Waukon 563.568.3793
- Waterloo 319.235.0902
- West Union 563.422.3787
You must bring your current driver's license with you for any testing or driver's license changes.
The Iowa Commercial Driver's License Manual can be found in our office or by visiting Iowa Department of Transportation - Manuals and Publications.
Motorcycle Endorsement: How do I add the Motorcycle Endorsement to my driver's license?
- You will need to take & pass the motorcycle written test
- You will need to complete a motorcycle skills drive test. We do not offer this at our location. The nearest locations that offer the motorcycle drive skills test are Delaware County, Fayette County, Benton County or one of the larger DOT stations located in Waterloo or Cedar Rapids.
Motorcycle Endorsement: How do I obtain a Motorcycle Permit?
- You will need to take & pass the motorcycle written test.
You must be at least 14 years of age and have parent/legal guardian consent to obtain a Motorcycle Permit.
You must be at least 14 years, pass the knowledge test, a vision screening, take an approved moped education course and then you will be issued an instruction permit with a moped endorsement.
Moped Study Manual
How do I get a "veteran" designation on your driver's license or nonoperator identification card?
Please go to the Iowa Department of Transportation website for more information.
Where can I find information on the Medical Cannabidiol Act?
Please visit the Iowa Department of Public Health's Website for information.
Patient Registration and Additional Caregiver Registration- are available on the left side of the Iowa Office of Medical Cannabidiol website.
Where can I find Information about Parent-taught driver education?
The Parent-taught driver education process is outlined on the Iowa Department of Transportation website.