Property Tax Information
Due to Covid-19 and the Governors proclamation, the second half property taxes that were due March 31, 2020, can be paid without penalty through July 25, 2020. Penalty will be assessed a monthly rate of 1.5% beginning July 26, 2020.
Monday – Friday
8:00 AM – 4:30 PM
(Driver's License Closes at 4PM)
Early Closure last working day of June and December
Please view our frequently asked questions below for more information.
*The treasurer cannot waive any penalty or costs under any circumstances.
When are property taxes due?
- Property Taxes are due in September and March of every year
- September is the first half of taxes due
- March is the second half of taxes due
Can I pay a full year of my property taxes in September?
- You can pay either the full year in September or just the September half
- Only one billing is sent out for your tax bill. The top of the tax bill has two coupons at the top. Each coupon is for each half of the tax bill. If you do not pay the full year in September be sure to remember you will have the second half due in the month of March
- If the last day of either September or March falls on a weekend you will have the following business working day to pay your taxes without penalty
How do I avoid paying penalty or costs?
- Be sure to bring your tax bill with you to pay them or include the coupons if you mail your payment to the office.
- Remember that taxes can always be paid online at Iowa Tax and Tags
- We have a secure payment box outside the courthouse and offer a payment box in the hallway during the months of September and March.
- If you've bought or sold property be sure to know if the buyer or seller is supposed to pay the taxes on each parcel. This is something that would have been discussed in your closing agreement. Since our tax bills are only billed once a year in the month of August you will not receive a tax bill from us because it has already been sent to the previous owner.
- Keep track of a list of your parcel numbers and a list of the payments made.
What is the penalty and cost on delinquent taxes?
- Penalty is charged at 1.5% per month rounded to the nearest whole dollar
- Cost is only charged on the second half of delinquent taxes at $4.00 per parcel
Will my name be published in the paper for delinquent parcels?
If you have any remaining unpaid taxes after the first of May your name may appear in a published delinquent tax list in a local newspaper later in the month of May
What happens if I don't pay my delinquent property tax?
Any delinquent taxes will be sold at our annual tax sale in the 3rd Monday of June. If your delinquent taxes are sold at tax sale a tax sale certificate will be issued to the investor. The investor will earn 2% interest per month until the taxes are redeemed by you. The investor has the opportunity to pay the subsequent delinquent taxes after they've been delinquent for 45 days. If you do not redeem your taxes the investor can serve you with a "notice of expiration of right of redemption" after one year and nine months. Once an affidavit has been served to the county treasurer you will have 90 days from the date of filing with the county treasurer to redeem your taxes.