General Assistance provides financial assistance to low income Buchanan County residents on an emergency basis.
- Applicants must meet financial guidelines established by the Buchanan County Board of Supervisors and have applied for all other means of assistance.
- Proof of income for everyone living in the household must be submitted before an application can be considered.
- Applicants must be living in Buchanan County for 30 days prior to application to be considered a resident.
- Assistance may be provided up to three times in a calendar year (Food Pantry referrals do not count toward this number).
- Applicant must be able to provide proof of payment for the remainder of the bill before county payment can be made. County assistance has a maximum amount paid and will typically not pay the entire amount owed.
Financial assistance can be provided for the following:
- Limited Medical/Dental/Prescriptions (emergency/urgent only; must be applied for prior to receiving treatment)
- Burial (must be applied for before final arrangements are made)
Discount prescription cards through Med One are available regardless of income or insurance coverage.
For any questions please contact: Patti Meyer or Julie Davison at (319) 334-7450.