2018 Severe Storms / Flood Information
- Flood Clean-Up (Resources: How to clean up after the water recedes, flooded wells, private sewage systems, etc.)
- Buchanan County Household Hazardous Waste Center: All residents of Buchanan County can use this facility, with no charge to residential customers. An appointment can be made by calling: (319)-334-6312. Click here to learn more.
- Buchanan County Disaster Recovery Brochure
- Buchanan County Disaster Recovery Assistance Application (pdf)
- Download the application, once completed please return to: Buchanan County Community Services 210 5th Ave NE Independence, Iowa 50644 If you have questions, please call Buchanan County Community Services at 319-334-7450.
- State Disaster Assistance Programs
- For 24/7 disaster crisis counseling, call Iowa Concern Hotline at 800-477-1985.
- For the Iowa individual disaster assistance grant program information call toll-free 866-434-4692.
- State of Iowa Individual Assistance Application and Information The Iowa Individual Disaster Assistance Grant Program is launched with a governor's declaration and at the request of local officials. This program offers grants to families with incomes at or below twice the federal poverty index. The maximum grant is $5,000.
- Buchanan County has a deadline of October 26, 2018
- The grant application may be download by clicking on Iowa Disaster Assistance Application.
Applications can be turned into the Operation Threshold Office located at: 1827 First Street West, Ste D. Independence, Hours of Operation Monday through Thursday: 8 to 5:30 and Friday 8:00 to Noon.
Flooding and Weather Resources:
- USGS River Gauge Information (Wapsipinicon River Levels at Independence)
- NOAA National Weather Service (Flood Inundation Locations via Google Maps)
- FEMA - Ready.gov - (Emergency Preparedness Tips)